<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Chill Baby Chill Baby Baby Baby Wait 

Well, the feeding frenzy is in full effect with the Star Ledger, Post, and now the NY Times all publishing articles calling for Wilpon's head on a platter. Hey, I'm for cheaper ticket and concession prices as much as the next guy, but for the most part the articles are way off base. Let me just point out that it's ONLY MAY 4th PEOPLE and the Mets are only 5 games out of first place! Jeez, you would think that with these articles coming out the Mets would be chained to the basement of the NL East in August. To the contrary, it's early and the Mets are in decent position to regroup and make a run of things. Listen, I'm not unrealistic, but if you told me before the season started, without telling me anything else, that the Mets would only be 5 games out of first place on May 4th I'd take it in a heart beat. If you told me that on May 4th the Mets pitching staff would rank 3rd in the NL in earned runs allowed and ERA, I'd take it in a heart beat. If you told me that after 5 Leiter starts and 6 starts for Glavine that these two cagey veterans would rank 1st and 3rd respectively in ERA in the NL, I'd take it in a heart beat. If you told me that Danny Garcia would step in for an injured Reyes and find himself 9th in VORP among NL second basemen, I'd take it. Sticking with VORP, if you told me that Kazuo Matsui would be in the top half among NL short stops, Zeile 7th among NL third basemen, Piazza 6th among NL catchers, Cameron 8th among NL center fielders, Spencer 7th among NL left fielders, and Karim Garcia 8th among NL right fielders, I'd take it quick fast in a hurry. Obviously, not everything is rosy with the Mets. But things aren't nearly as bad as those articles suggest, even if Wilpon, according to the media, is wanted dead or alive. We can't run away! We're not livin' on a prayer! We just need to stick to our guns and keep the faith!

This and That




Site Meter Listed on Blogwise Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?