<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Glavine, Wright, and Cameron 

A Tale of Two Glavines. The Mets lost in embarrassing fashion to the pathetic Tigers yesterday, a game in which the Mets defense gave up 9 unearned runs on 3 errors. One bright spot was that Noodle Arm Glavine pitched well, going 5 innings, walking no one and not allowing an earned run. However, Newsday quoted one unnamed National League scout who said, "I just think he's going to cave in again. . . He's not getting those pitches on the corners anymore and teams are starting to figure him out. I don't trust him. He has to prove to me that last year wasn't a mirage." This is hardly an isolated feeling among scouts, commentators and fans. Glavine is well aware of the criticisms: "People say I'm at the end of my career. . . I am at the end of my career. But that doesn't mean I still don't have three good years left."

David Wright chimes in. Mets top position prospect David Wright chimes in with the second installment of his on-line diary. Wright says, "I try to go to the park every day and pick the brains of the coaching staff and soak up as much baseball knowledge as I can from guys like Wiggy, Joey Mac and Todd Zeile." Should the Mets have an intervention and keep these guys away from Wright? I mean, c'mon. Pair the kid up with some guys that can actually play. Other interesting quotes include: "My goal is to be a five-tool Major League player. This means I want to hit for both average and power, play good defense with a strong arm and steal some bases. Other than that, I would like to become more consistent overall." Seems like a good set of goals for a minor league prospect. Wright does not seem content with just blasting balls out of the park and wants to improve his game in all respects. Responding to a question about his work ethic, or over work ethic, Wright responds,

a few of our front office personnel crunched some numbers last year and discovered that my batting average was much higher on the road than at home. After going through my home routine compared to my road routine, we discovered that I was overworking myself before home games by doing too much early work. After cutting back my extra work and working smarter, I felt much more crisp and fresh during home games and the numbers increased drastically.

It's nice to see that statistical analysis is creeping into the Mets organization at all levels.

Speaking about player-fan interaction, check out Mike Cameron's web site. Here's a quick response he gives to a question about his home/road hitting disparity at Safeco:

For some reason I felt a little
more comfortable on the road than at
home. Hopefully, I'll even it out. If
I do that then we're looking at a
pretty good season. As much as I didn't
like hitting at Safeco, I was
comfortable at Safeco in every other
respect. It's important for me to learn
the nuances of my surroundings.

Site Meter Listed on Blogwise Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?